The Courage of a Child: Elvisa Avdić

I  was  born  in  1982  in  the  village  of  Donje  Peći,  in  the  municipality  of  Srebrenica.  I  lived  with  my  mother,  grandmother  and  older  sister.  My  father  was  away  working  in  Belgrade,  and  my  brother  was  in  high  school  there.  When  the  war  broke  out,  they  couldn’t  get  back  to  us—others  tried  the  journey  but  they  were  killed  at  the  border.


I  was  ten  when  the  war  started.  I  didn’t  even  know  what  war  was.  First  there  were  pictures  on  Croatian  TV  of  soldiers  and  convoys  of  vehicles.  Then  helicopters,  then  army  vehicles.  We  didn’t  know  how  to  react.  Then  the  columns  of  refugees  came  fleeing  Serb  forces.  We  heard  stories  of  shooting  and  killing,  but  I  didn’t  really  understand  until  they  came  to  our  village.


It  was  around  11  May  1992  when  a  tank  started  firing  at  our  school.  We  escaped  to  the  woods.  In the  chaos,  I  lost  my  mother.  I  was  absolutely  terrified,  ten  years  old,  all  alone.  I  didn’t  know  what  to  do.  I  found  my  neighbours  and  went  with  them  to  a  neighbouring  village. It  was  three  days  before  my  mother  found  me  and  we  went  back  to  our  village.  My  grandmother  had  suffered  a  stroke  the  day  after  the  attack  and  passed  away.  We  stayed  until  Serb  forces  attacked  again,  killing  my  other  grandmother  and  two  of  my  cousins,  then  we  left  and  never  went  back.  We  stayed  in  different  villages  in  others’  homes  for  a  year.  The  village  was  under  daily  fire,  but  every  day  I  had  to  take  our  cow  to  pasture,  sneaking  along  and  hiding  to  avoid  the  grenades.

In  spring  1993  there  was  another  offensive  and  we  came  to  Srebrenica.  I  had  a  rash  all  over  my  body  from  the  poisonous  agents  that  we  had  been  shelled  with  from  Serbia.  We  hid  in  my  mother’s  uncle’s  house  with  50  other  people.  In  every  room  there  was  a  whole  family. Somehow,  we  managed  to  survive. We  had  no  food.  The  thing  I  remember  most  vividly  was  constant  hunger,  bread  with  no  salt  made  from  oats,  that  prickles  when  you  eat  it.  But  still  we  managed  to  be  kids,  playing,  sledging,  going  to  a  makeshift  school.

For  a  while,  we  had  peace.  Then  July  1995  came.  In  early  July,  the  shooting  started.  We  heard  the  Serb  forces  were  in  the  town,  and  people  were  going  to  Potočari.  My  mum  was  so  frightened  she  forgot  her  shoes.  When  we  got  to  the  base,  we  were  on  the  second  floor  of  the  factory.  There  were  so  many  people.  The  first  floor  was  full  of  the  wounded.  It  was  so,  so  cold  at  night—we  had  nothing  with  us;  no  food,  no  blankets.  I  was  just  shivering  in  my  mother’s  lap.


After  two  or  three  nights,  we  were  the  last  ones  to  leave.  We  got  on  the  bus,  not  knowing  where  they  were  taking  us.  From  the  bus  I  saw  Bosnian  prisoners  sitting  near  Kravica.  I  can  barely  remember  anything  else  from  that  journey,  but  eventually  they  told  us  to  get  off  the  bus  and  to  go  on  foot  to  Kladanj,  in  the  free  territory  of  Bosnia.  It  was  pitch  black  outside.  We  started  to  walk,  but  a  Serb  soldier  shouted  “HALT!”  I  was  so  afraid,  I  couldn’t  move.  But  he  just  told  us  to  help  the  older  people,  who  couldn’t  walk  the  few  kilometres  to  the  front.

When  we  arrived,  there  were  crowds  of  refugees  from  Srebrenica.  As  buses  came  to  take  people  to  refugee  centres  and  schools  around  Tuzla,  I  noticed  my  mother  was  starting  to  behave  irrationally.  She  refused  to  get  on  the  bus,  believing  that  they  were  Serbs  who  would  take  us  to  concentration  camps  and  kill  us.  I  wanted  to  get  on  the  bus,  but  I  couldn’t  leave  her.  All  day,  she  was  talking,  talking,  talking,  and  I  couldn’t  understand  her.

Finally,  she  told  me  it  would  be  better  if  we  jumped  in  the  river  than  get  caught  by  the  Serbs.  I  tried  to  convince  her  that  it  wasn’t  true  and  we  really  were  safe,  but  it  was  too  late—she  grabbed  my  arm  and  tried  to  drag  me  to  the  river.  I  grabbed  onto  a  tree,  but  she  jumped  in.  I  was  screaming  for  help.  Five  men  came  and  somehow  managed  to  get  her  out.  They  gave  her  coffee,  which  seemed  to  reach  her  somehow.  She  said,  “Look,  real  coffee!  There  is  no  such  thing  at  our  place  in  Srebrenica”.  That  night  they  took  her  to  a  psychiatric  hospital  while  I  went  to  look  for  my  sister. 


When  I  look  back,  I  wonder  how  I  could  have  been  so  brave  as  a  child.  Now  I  have  three  children  of  my  own,  I  am  terrified.  I  can’t  imagine  how  my  mother  survived  on  her  own  with  me  and  my  sister. Although  she  came out  of  hospital  after  a  month,  she  was  never  the  same  again.  My  sister’s  husband  survived  the  fall  of  Srebrenica,  but  so  many  men  never  returned.  My  brother  came  home  from  Belgrade  in  1999,  but  my  father  stayed  there.  I  did  not  have  a  childhood,  I  was  not  a  teenager,  and  I  will  never  have  a  normal  life.  All  because  of  the  war.


Even  after  all  that  has  happened,  I  live  in  Srebrenica  and  I  have  the  strength  to  look  in  the  eyes  of  those  people  who  ruined  my  life.  We  returned  to  Srebrenica  because  we  didn’t  want  to  live  in  refugee  camps,  where  we  had  nothing.  Although  we  knew  it  would  be  difficult,  we  had  a  strong  resolve  to  return  home.  We  thought  that  the  war  was  over  forever,  and  most  survivors  would  come  back,  but  that  didn’t  happen.


Life  in  Srebrenica  is  very  complicated  for  everyone,  but  especially  for  those  who  survived  genocide.  After  the  horror  we  went  through,  we  are  faced  with  almost  daily  denial  of  what  we  survived.  Along  with  ordinary  problems,  we  have  politicians  who  want  division  and  who  support  war  criminals.  Bosniaks  were  the  majority  here,  but  now  we  are  in  the  minority,  and  through  daily  obstructions  the  authorities  are  trying  to  force  us  to  leave  this  area  forever.  Every  day  here  is  a  struggle,  especially  for  our  family  because  of  my  husband  Nedžad’s  experiences—he  was  one  of  the  very  few  that  survived  the  mass  executions. I  teach  my  children  not  to  hate,  but  they  have  to  know  what  happened  here.


If  they  cannot  learn  these  things  at  school,  we  must  teach  them  at  home.  When  I  first  told  my  story,  I  was  not  aware  of  the  depth  of  what  I  had  survived.  Living  here,  I  realise  how  important  it  is  to  speak  out.  Every  single  story  is  deep  and  special  and  deserves  to  be  heard,  because  every  story  is  somebody’s  life.  Faced  with  denial,  our  duty  is  to  remind  people  of  Srebrenica’s  horrible  past.  Even  if  it  is  too  late  for  us  who  survived,  maybe  others  can  learn  from our experience